A recent analysis published in the Journal of the American College of Radiology projects that 350 new FDA-approved AI products will be released in 2035, supported by $30.8 billion, compared to the 69 AI products funded by $4.8 billion last year.1
Naturally, questions come up for any AI product: Mainly, how do you know if it is right for your practice? We see a great need to help clinicians answer this question and decided to create an eBook specifically for breast imagers. We even created a handy checklist containing questions you can use to evaluate a new AI tool; for example: How does it improve patient care? What is its regulatory status? What’s the return on investment? Is it lab tested and clinically validated?
This is familiar terrain for Volpara. In fact, a recent overview of 100 CE-marked AI products from 54 vendors showed that Volpara had the most scientific papers of all breast radiology AI software reviewed—while 64 of the products reviewed had no peer-reviewed evidence of their efficacy.2 For Volpara, achieving scientific validation for its commercial products has always been a top priority.
We used our deep experience to answer the questions above, and many more, in our eBook, AI that Works in Breast Imaging: The Volpara Health Approach to Trusted, Effective AI.
As the subtitle suggests, our view is that AI has great potential to assist breast imaging facilities in numerous ways—if the AI is embedded in radiology workflows as part of a full solution designed to address specific challenges.
Our eBook explores these challenges, from staff shortages to increasing study volumes to the growing need for accurate risk assessment. It also outlines Volpara’s approach to AI-powered software, including case studies from customers and researchers using our tools. Here are some of the results these users have achieved:
- 60% reduction in time spent searching for cases when using Volpara® Analytics™ software at Mayfair Diagnostics
- 78% reduction in technical repeats and recalls by Virginia Mason Medical Center
- More accurate identification by Volpara® Scorecard™ software of the high-risk patients who would most benefit from breast MRI screening, as seen in the DENSE trial
AI that Works in Breast Imaging also touches on future applications such as AI in risk assessment and breast arterial calcification (BAC). Whether you’re looking for improved decision-making support, greater productivity, optimized training of new hires, or more accurate breast density measurement, your facility is sure to benefit from one or more effective AI solutions.
Want to know more? Download our AI eBook today!
1. Nicole K. McNabb, Eric W. Christensen, Elizabeth Y. Rula, Laura Coombs, Keith Dreyer, Christoph Wald, Christopher Treml. Projected Growth in FDA-Approved Artificial Intelligence Products Given Venture Capital Funding. Journal of the American College of Radiology. October 16, 2023. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2023.08.030.
2. Kicky G. van Leeuwen, Steven Schalekamp, Matthieu J. C. M. Rutten, Bram van Ginneken, Maarten de Rooij. Artificial Intelligence in Radiology: 100 Commercially Available Products and their Scientific Evidence. European Radiology (2021) 31:3797–3804. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-021-07892-z.